When it comes to air filter replacement for your home’s HVAC system, you may be wondering whether to go for the cheaper option or invest in a more expensive one. It may appear to be straightforward to select the less expensive option, but there are many factors to consider when making this decision. At Keith Key Heating & Air, we can help you understand the differences between cheap and expensive air filters so that you can make an informed choice. We also offer quality air filter replacement in Tallahassee, FL, and the surrounding areas. Call us at (850) 926-3546 to schedule an appointment.
In this blog, we’ll explore the pros and cons of cheap and expensive air filters and help you decide which one is right for your air conditioning system.
What Is The Purpose Of An Air Filter?
An air filter is an essential part of any air conditioning system. It does two main jobs: it filters out airborne particles like dust, pollen, and pet dander before they enter your home’s air supply, and it keeps the indoor air quality clean by trapping the contaminants that would otherwise be circulating in the system. A dirty air filter can reduce your HVAC system’s efficiency and decrease your home’s air quality. Relying on your air filter regularly is essential to ensure that your HVAC system runs at peak performance. Feel free to reach out to Keith Key Heating & Air for all your air conditioning repair in Tallahassee, FL, and the surrounding areas.
1. Cheap Air Filters
Cheap air filters are generally made of fiberglass or foam and are usually less effective at filtering out small airborne particles. A few pros and cons of cheap air filters are as follows:
• Low cost: Cheap air filters are a popular choice among homeowners due to their low cost.
• Widely available: They are widely available at many home improvement stores and online retailers, making them easy to find and purchase.
• Short lifespan: One major downside is the short lifespan of cheap air filters. They are made from lower-quality materials and are less durable than expensive options. This means they will need to be replaced more frequently, which can quickly add cost and hassle.
• Poor air filtration: Another issue with cheap air filters is their poor air filtration. They are less effective at trapping dust, debris, and other particles than more expensive filters. This can lead to reduced air quality in your home and an increased risk of allergies and respiratory issues.
• System inefficiency: Cheap air filters can reduce the efficiency of your HVAC system. As they become clogged with dirt and debris, they can impede airflow through your HVAC system. This can lead to decreased performance, higher energy bills, and even damage your HVAC system.
Cheap air filters may seem like a great deal at first glance, but their low cost often comes at the expense of quality. In the long run, it may be better to invest in a more expensive air filter that will provide better performance and last longer. If you are in Tallahassee, FL, and have questions about ductless air conditioning units in Bradfordville, don’t hesitate to contact Keith Key Heating & Air.
2. Expensive Air Filters
Expensive air filters, also known as high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters, offer several advantages over cheaper options.
• High air filtration: One of the main benefits of expensive air filters is their high air filtration. These filters trap even the tiniest particles, such as dust, pet dander, and mold spores. This can lead to improved air quality in your home and a reduced risk of allergies and respiratory issues.
• Long lifespan: Another advantage of expensive air filters is their long lifespan. These filters are made from high-quality materials and are designed to last much longer than cheap air filters. This means they will need to be replaced less frequently, which can save you money and hassle in the long run.
• System efficiency: Expensive air filters can also increase the efficiency of your HVAC system. As they are more effective at trapping dirt and debris, they help to keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. This can lead to lower energy bills and a longer lifespan for your HVAC system.
• Higher cost: The downsides to expensive air filters are their higher cost and less availability. They are generally more costly than cheap air filters, which can be a significant investment for some homeowners.
• Less widely available: They may be less widely known than cheap air filters and can be difficult to find at some retail stores.
Expensive air filters may have a higher upfront cost but offer much better air filtration and a longer lifespan. The only downside is that they may be less widely available and thus harder to find. If you’re looking for the best air filtration and want to ensure that your HVAC system runs at peak performance, an expensive air filter may be a better investment.
Which Is Right For You?
Ultimately, deciding between a cheap and expensive air filter is your priority. A cheap air filter may be the right choice if you’re looking for a low-cost option. However, if you’re looking for the best air filtration and want to ensure that your HVAC system runs at peak performance, an expensive air filter may be a better investment.
At Keith Key Heating & Air, we offer a range of air filter options to suit your needs and budget. We provide professional AC service in Crawfordville, and our experienced technicians can help you find the right air filter for your HVAC system. Contact us today at (850) 926-3546 to schedule an appointment.